The vegetable stock is one of the most important base recipe of Italian cuisine.
It’s the vegetarian version of the classic beef stock, delicate flavor that can be used alone or as a base to flavor many recipes.. risotti, soups and main courses meat and fish.
Making vegetable stock is really easy to do, but I bet most of us don’t do it.
Let’s start with three vegetables typically used as the basis for taste good.. onion, celery and carrot.
We add vegetables to taste (preferably seasonal :)) cut into large pieces, put in a pressure cooker (of course the pressure cooker oversimplifies), cover with water and cook!
It’s so easy ! Easy as pie! 😉
And you know what else? The taste of homemade vegetable stock is far superior to the majority of store bought stocks or bouillon cubes. Make homemade vegetable stock is easy and it’s so much cheaper than buying stock at the grocery store.
You can freeze it! I like to freeze it in ice cubes so I can thaw only what I need at the time.
I recommend making stock and freezing it so you always have some on hand! 😉
I leave you my recipe for flavorful vegetable stock..
A vegetable stock extremely versatile, a delicate and flavorful base for vegetarian soups, sauces and other recipes and a perfect comfort food during the cold winter days (a cup of broth is the best way to keep warm!)
Notes: Don’t throw away the vegetable scraps! Use them to make a delicious vegetable stock!
I collect scraps in a freezer bag and when I have the right amount of vegetables, I use them to make stock 😉
Want your stock finished in just about an hour?
Just make vegetable stock in the pressure cooker. Using pressure cooker, it will be ready in about 30 minutes. It’s fast and delicious! 😉
|Vegetable Stock|| |
- 1 large onion, peeled and halved
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut in half
- 1 leek, white and green parts, trimmed, sliced, and washed
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 potato
- 1 zucchini
- 2 liters water
- Chop and peel all the vegetables (onion, carrot, stalks celery, leek, potato, zucchini and basil) and places them in a pressure cooker.
- Add water, close and lock the lid. (IMPORTANT!!! Not to fill your pressure cooker more than ¾ full for safe cooking)
- Bring up to pressure and cook for 40 minutes since the pot start to "hiss".
- Turn off the heat, escape the steam through the safety valve and open the pot.
- Remove all the vegetables with a slotted spoon and strain the stock through a fine mesh strainer.
- Vegetable stock is ready!!!
- Let vegetable broth cool at room temperature.
- Use it immediately or conserve it in the fridge for up to 3 days for anytime use.
- Alternatively, you can freeze the stock, as ice cubes, and keep them in the freezer for up to 1 month.